Exciting Opportunity To Lead Centre of Retail and Hospitality Excellence in Leeds
Working in partnership Leeds City Council and LeedsBID, with support from Land Securities, are keen to capitalise and build on the significant retail and hospitality sectors that exist in the city by appointing a manager to lead the implementation of the Centre of Retail and Hospitality Excellence (CORHE) which has been an aspiration of partners over a number of years.
Key facts to consider are:
- Leeds currently ranks as the highest destination for retail spend in England outside of London and sits just outside the European top 20 cities
- Employment alone in the wholesale and retail sector and the accommodation and food services sector forecast to grow by 12% and 13% over the next 10 years.
While this rapid growth is a success story for the city to shout about, underlying all of this are significant challenges for both employers seeking to attract and retain employees at a range of levels, and for residents seeking to access relevant skills and training and to compete for jobs in the industry.
- Over 25% of customer service employers face skills gaps when it comes to their workforce.
- Many retailers and hoteliers have concerns over succession strategies for their businesses.
CORHE is seen as a direct response to improve city employers’ ability to recruit, retain and develop staff by delivering recruitment and training services. Additionally, following Brexit, there remain huge concerns regarding the ability to recruit and retain staff with appropriate skills. In the LeedsBID area alone, there are currently c1700 businesses across these sectors and.
The creation of the CORHE also supports the significant development in the City Centre and regionally, particularly by the retail, hotel and hospitality sectors over the past few years and represents a response to the staff resourcing and skill challenges that these new developments present:
- Trinity Leeds with 3.5k employees, 20% of this headcount are students
- Victoria Gate and the ongoing regeneration of Victoria Quarter
- Record levels of investment in retail development
- Development of the Arena Quarter
- Increase in city centre hotels, restaurants and bars
Building on much work over the past 12 months and longer in some cases, the concept behind CORHE is therefore simple:
- An employer-led initiative that responds to their needs with an employer/industry board
- CORHE brings together the LeedsBID, Leeds City Council, Land Securities, employers and a consortia of training providers
- It will provide employers with a range of bespoke services to help attract, retain and develop staff.
- Foster and develop latest trends and innovations maximise their relevance for Leeds
- A focus on developing and sustaining careers in the retail, hotel, hospitality and leisure sectors
CORHE will also enhance the ability of employers to:
- Support Leeds City Centre predominantly as an attractive employment location and improve the operational effectiveness of participating businesses through skills development and training
- Improve staff retention rates
- Improve the skills and career opportunities for existing staff
- Support employers in recruitment initiatives where possible, particularly Apprenticeships
- Create clear career opportunities and progression routes
- Provide thought leadership opportunities for employers in the sector around trends, innovation and latest developments
The appointment of the CORHE Manager will be initially for a fixed term 2 year period with a possible extension. The CORHE partners are ideally looking for candidates who have an understanding and preferably working experience of one or more of the retail, hospitality, hotel and leisure sectors with strong knowledge, understanding and awareness of the skills agenda, local and sector provision of training supply, provider networks and awareness of career pathways. An entrepreneurial and commercial mindset will be welcomed – someone who has a business head with strong social values.
The successful candidate needs to be self-sufficient and self-motivated but also good at team working as the post will form part of the wider LeedsBID Management Team. Preferably experienced at income generation and sales, candidates should have the ability to engage positively with business and employers at a senior level.
Full details of application process and job description can be found via the following link: https://www.leedsbid.co.uk/manager-centre-retail-and-hospitality-excellence-leeds
The closing date of Friday, March 9th, 2018 at 12 noon for all applications and interview dates provisionally arranged for Tuesday, March 13th and/or Friday, March 16th, 2018 - please keep both dates clear if possible.
If you wish to discuss any aspects of the post pre-closing date, please contact our retained consultant Keith Ramsay of the Jigsaw Consultancy Ltd on 07989851744.