LeedsBID launches commercial waste tender
LeedsBID is asking commercial waste collectors to put forward proposals to improve bin collections that businesses in Leeds city centre receive, helping them save money and recycle more.
The BID has begun the search for a contractor to offer a high quality commercial waste and recycling collection across the city centre – a project endorsed by Leeds City Council.
In a recent survey conducted for LeedsBID, 43% of levy payers (those businesses in the BID area with over £60k rateable value) said there were improvements that they wanted in relation to their current collection contract.
LeedsBID, supported by environmental consultants Eunomia Research & Consulting, is therefore looking for a contractor who can:
- Provide customers with at least one collection per day of refuse and some types of recycling.
- Offer a range of additional recycling services such as food waste.
- Provide a range of containers for businesses to use for their waste collections – both sacks and a variety of different bin sizes.
- Offer excellent customer service.
The contract will be designed so that the greater the number of levy payers that sign up, the more they will save. As the contract attracts more customers, the waste collector’s service will become more efficient – and under the contract rules, the savings will be passed back to businesses. Annual price increases will be limited over the lifetime of the contract.
LeedsBID Chief Executive Andrew Cooper said:
“We are very pleased to be launching this waste tender, and excited about what it will offer local businesses. After listening to what businesses in Leeds need from their waste and recycling collections, we are asking commercial waste collectors to show us what kind of service they can provide.”
The aim is to secure a high quality, low cost waste collection service for businesses in the city, helping:
- Improve the reliability and frequency of waste collections, saving businesses time and effort.
- Improve the local street scene and environment.
- Drive better, more responsive customer service.
Any licenced commercial waste collector is welcome to apply. Tender documents are available here and the deadline for submitting tenders is 18th September 2017 at 5pm.