‘Rio Heroes’ homecoming parade hosted in Leeds
The city is to host a very special ‘Rio Heroes’ homecoming parade later this month celebrating the achievements of Yorkshire Olympic and Paralympic athletes.
A host of athletes have already added their names to the list of attendees taking part in the parade to be held on Wednesday, September 28th from late afternoon. Those already set to attend include:
- Triathletes Alistair and Jonny Brownlee who earned gold and silver medals respectively
- Rowers Andy Triggs Hodge and Paul Bennett who both claimed gold.
- World, European and Paralympic champion Hannah Cockroft MBE who won gold in the Rio T34 100m final.
- Diver and gold medallist, Jack Laugher.
- Cycling Pilot Paralympian gold medallist Adam Duggleby.
- Vicky Holland who won bronze in the triathlon.
- Bronze medal gymnast, Nile Wilson.
- Rowing Silver medallist, Zoe Lee.
- Paralympian swimmer, Jonathan Booth.
Details regarding the route of the parade are currently being finalised, with a further announcement set to be made shortly.
Yorkshire athletes contributed 14 medals (5 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze) out of an overall medal total of 67 for Team GB.
Leader of Leeds City Council Councillor Judith Blake, said: “There is already a real buzz of excitement around the Yorkshire Rio Heroes homecoming parade on the 28 September in Leeds, and it is great news to see so many of our amazing athletes already confirm their appearance.
“The Yorkshire public are never shy in offering their support to sports people from the region, and this parade is a fantastic opportunity to line the streets of Leeds City Centre and give our Rio heroes a welcome home reception to remember.”
World, European and Paralympic Champion Hannah Cockroft MBE, who is from Halifax and trains in Leeds, said: “The buzz here in Rio is incredible as I prepare to compete in my remaining races, I’ve been overwhelmed by the number of goodwill messages from fans back home. I’m so proud to be bringing back my 100m Gold medal for Yorkshire and hopefully a couple more, I can’t wait to be part of the homecoming parade!”